Monday, November 27, 2006

GDM (Login Screen) Resolution Too Big to Fit Screen

This black friday I purchased two 19" widescreen samsung 931bw's. I had a problem getting the optimum resolution (1440x900 for one and 2880x900 for two) to work properly in ubuntu.

I had added 1440x900 to the appropriate modelines, which once I when to System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution and changed it from 2880x1000 to 2880x900 it worked fine for my gnome session.

The problem was that the login window was too big. It was still using 2880x1000 for some reason. I found this web page which offered a fix:

GDM (Login Screen) Resolution Too Big to Fit Screen? Try this… « Linux FUD: "Read Ubuntu Forum Post"

To fix it I removed everything from the 24 bit modeline in the screen section except 1440x900, and in all other modelines outside of the screen section. Upon rebooting, the login screen was no longer bigger the than monitor and it worked fine in the session also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Solution I found was to change the virtual display to the resolution of your main display and make the resolution required the first resolution specified on the modeline as this was the one that GDM defaulted to.

Works perfectly now