Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ubuntu 64 bit w/ XGL and Compiz

I finally got XGL and Compiz running on my 64 bit machine with Ubuntu AMD 64 bit running. It is sooo nice. XGL is working with Twinview also. So I can maximize a window to only 1 monitor.

The biggest key was the repositories. I didn't realize there was a separate 64 bit repository for compiz, which I couldn't get running previously. That made all the difference.

The linked site above is the one I ended up using when I got it working.

The 64 bit repositor site is:

deb http://xgl.compiz.info/ dapper main main-amd64

When attempting to install I got the "white screen of death" as I have seen it called on forums and mailing lists. To fix this I installed the newest version of XGL. I had a version from some cvs and it was causing the problem. Thats what happens when you try 8 different approaches in eight different tutorials.

No comments: